[linux-lvm] Shrinking a LVM physical volume

Lupe Christoph lupe at lupe-christoph.de
Tue Mar 24 21:54:10 UTC 2009

On Tuesday, 2009-03-24 at 07:59:09 -0700, Drew wrote:

> I have a system that I dual boot Windows and Debian from. Due to a
> minor mistake on my part when carving out the space on my drive for my
> linux partition, I now find myself with insufficient space on my
> windows partition.

> How do you shrink a physical volume on lvm?

Since nobody with real experience doing that has answered, I'll supply
my fewer than 2 Eurocents...

According to its manpage, it should be safe to use
  pvresize --setphysicalvolumesize <newsize> <pvdevice>
prior to resizing the partition. It should complain if there are extents
in use beyond <newsize>.

I say "it should" because I never tried it. So make a backup, blahblah,
etcetera...

> And then once that's done,
> how safe is it to move the lvm partition around on the drive?

That is up to somebody with more knowledge to answer.

HTH,
Lupe Christoph
--
| There is no substitute for bad design except worse design.                   |
| /me                                                                          |