[linux-lvm] Shrinking a LVM physical volume

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Tue Mar 24 22:32:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:54:10PM +0100, Lupe Christoph wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2009-03-24 at 07:59:09 -0700, Drew wrote:
>
> > I have a system that I dual boot Windows and Debian from. Due to a
> > minor mistake on my part when carving out the space on my drive for my
> > linux partition, I now find myself with insufficient space on my
> > windows partition.
>
> > How do you shrink a physical volume on lvm?
>
> Since nobody with real experience doing that has answered, I'll supply
> my fewer than 2 Eurocents...

Good answer, Lupe.

One other thing to be aware of;  you should know the amount of space
that has been allocated within the Physical Volume.  If that amount
exceeds the amount that you wish to recover, you may be able to
shrink Logical Volumes within the Physical Volume, but, of course,
before doing so, you should shrink the filesystems that are contained
within the logical volumes.

Have fun!
Brian