[linux-lvm] Total free space using added VGs and LVs

Ryan Anderson ryan at worldspice.net
Wed Oct 21 19:18:25 UTC 2009

Lou,

I'm new to this list and have not posted here before, so I am not sure
if this is the advice you'd eventually get, but it seems like you should
focus on the basics. You will need to understand the individual
components before a the more task-oriented parts of a how-to will be of
use. Following a step-by-step guide will get you a result, but if you
don't understand the steps the result probably won't be of any use to you.

The how-to has a good breakdown of the anatomy of LVM; that might be the
best place to start, focusing on the differences between Physical
Volumes, Volume Groups, Logical Volumes and where in that arrangement a
filesystem is placed.