[linux-lvm] Total free space using added VGs and LVs

Lou Arnold larnolda1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 00:26:01 UTC 2009

No, I'm confortable that I know the distinctions between PVs, VGs, and LVs.
But the command resize2fs doesn't belong with the LVM and that's perhaps
where the trouble is, in part anyway.

The other part of the problem is with the HOW-TO. It has a habit of saying
"to do this, use xyz command", then say "but you may need to do this before
hand". Here is an example from the tldp.org LVM How-To:
11.6. Removing physical volumes from a volume group
Make sure that the physical volume isn't used by any logical volumes by
using then 'pvdisplay' command:
# pvdisplay /dev/hda1

If the physical volume is still used you will have to migrate the data to
another physical volume using pvmove. (But I have nothing to move and no
pladce to move anything to.)

Then use 'vgreduce' to remove the physical volume:
# vgreduce my_volume_group /dev/hda1
-- Result: The message says that the PV is busy.

No where does it say how to make it not busy.

I tried "13.5. Removing an Old Disk" but that tries to move physical
extents. But again, I have nothing to move, and no place to move anything.

And..the examples show how to remove a disk when the LV is not mounted at
root.

So now I have to figure out what to do to make the logical volume not busy
and yet still let the computer operate. That last trial wasn't successful,
and I really don't know where to start.