[linux-lvm] Removing a very old physical drive - revisited

Nicholas Robinson npr at bottlehall.co.uk
Wed Oct 28 23:21:59 UTC 2009

i haven't had any replies from dm-devel mailing list so I tried pvmove
onto my external usb drive - i.e.

pvmove /dev/sdb2 /dev/sdc3

It is working so far! So, the device-mapper error must refer
to /dev/sda2 rather than the source disc as I'd assumed. I'm not sure
where this will leave me. My guess is that trying to pvmove from the usb
drive to the new disc will give the same error.

I don't really want the usb drive hanging off the front of my server,
but it will be nice to get rid of the old disc. Maybe I'll just have to
buy a new disc.

Nick