[linux-lvm] Conflicting vg names but can't rename one

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 19:38:09 UTC 2010

On 12/17/2010 01:46 PM, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> What version of lvm2?
>
> Try a newer one in case it's something we already fixed.
> (An entry in 2.02.63 changelog might be relevant.)
>
> If it still fails on the latest upstream, obtain output with
> the -vvvv flags and post a link to it.
>
> Alasdair

lvm version
   WARNING: Running as a non-root user. Functionality may be unavailable.
   LVM version:     2.02.54(1) (2009-10-26)
   Library version: 1.02.39 (2009-10-26)
   /dev/mapper/control: open failed: Permission denied
   Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.

I do not know how ancient it is, but it seems that is the one that is
currently available as a package for ubuntu 10.10
(http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/lvm2-udeb). Am I missing anything?
The HD in question has a VG that is a few years old (and done in centos
4.7).