[linux-lvm] Imaged a drive, now kernel panics

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Sun Jun 6 00:59:49 UTC 2010

Hi all,

   I am sure this is a fairly common issue, but it's stumping me.

   I have an old server's drive (IDE) that has CentOS 4 on it. The
mainboard fried, so I imaged the drive using 'dd' onto a new drive and
tried booting from it. Not surprisingly, it failed to boot. Specifically:

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
Red Hat nash version 4.2.1.8 starting
   Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
   No volume groups found
   Volume group "VolGroup00" not found
ERROR: /bin/lvm exited abnormally! (pid 321)
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting none
switchroot: mount failed: 22
umount /initrd/dev failed: 2

   When I boot off the DVD using 'linux rescue', it successfully finds
the partitions and mounts them. I can 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' just fine.
I also tried moving the current kernel out of the way and using
'mkinitrd' to rebuild the image (after chrooting and making sure
everything looked fine).

   Any idea what I might be missing?

Thanks!

--