[linux-lvm] Imaged a drive, now kernel panics

Ray Morris support at bettercgi.com
Sun Jun 6 03:33:22 UTC 2010

   You mentioned that the old drive is IDE.  If so,
You may be running into a couple problems I've had.
I take it the new drive is SATA, SAS, or SCSI?
Did you edit /etc/fstab to change hda to sda, hdb
to sdb, etc., before running mkinitrd?

   The existing kernel may not have the needed drivers
compiled in, the drivers for the particular chipset
and whatever SCSI drivers or modules are needed.
Assuming that rescue kernel matches the kernel on
the failed drive, mkinitrd _should_ take care of that
if /etc/fstab is correct.  Might it might look at
mtab?

> I also tried moving the current kernel out of the
> way and using 'mkinitrd' to rebuild the image (after
> chrooting and making sure everything looked fine)

    Be sure to bind /proc, /sys, /dev, and /selinux
into the chroot.  We want to be able to see /dev/sda
it order to set up to boot from it.  Along the same lines,
double check that any other partitions, primarily /boot,
are mounted in the chroot.

    That should pretty much you, but before I figured out
some of the possible failure modes I build modified several
initrd by hand.  You can debug the init script with simple
echo statements much like you would debug any simple
script.

    One last thing - on some motherboards the BIOS can
be set to present a SATA drive as if it were IDE, I
understand.  qemu-kvm can also present a hard drive image
as either SCSI or IDE, regardless of the actual underlying
hardware.  So you could present your SATA or SCSI drive
as an IDE drive in order to make the old initrd and kernel
happy.
--
Ray Morris
support at bettercgi.com