[linux-lvm] How to find out the location of PE's

Sven Eschenberg sven at whgl.uni-frankfurt.de
Thu Dec 29 11:58:32 UTC 2011

Assuming you used standard config when creating the LVM, you'll find PV
metadata at the very beginning of the disk (an probably nowhere else).

There is no such thing like per PE markers, all information is stored in
the LVM header. Usually though there should be files in /etc holding the
information of the PVs/VGs/LVs as backup - assuming the rest of the disk
layout is still valid (i.e. PV on partition -> partition still exists)

The LVM Metadata is in the second sector (usually) and you should see
something like the string LVM2 and LABELONE (for LVM 2 metadata)

I don't know of any detailed on disk format description (except the source
probably).

Regards

-Sven