[linux-lvm] Snapshots and disk re-use

Sunil_Gupta2 at Dell.com Sunil_Gupta2 at Dell.com
Wed Feb 23 13:18:01 UTC 2011

A file when removed from linux OS does not remove the data it just unlink the inode associated with the file which makes data unaccessible. If the disk is /dev/zeroed I don't think it will reappear.

--Sunil

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-lvm-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:linux-lvm-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Jonathan Tripathy
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:06 PM
To: linux-lvm at redhat.com
Subject: [linux-lvm] Snapshots and disk re-use

Hi Everyone,

We host many Xen VMs for customers. We use LVM as the fisk storage for these VMs. When a customer cancels, we generally dd their LV with /dev/zero, before removing the LV.

If however we want to create a snapshot of a customer's LV, is there the chance that the data may appear on a new future LV if we were to create one (for a new customer)? Is is my understanding that most filesystems don't actually remove data from a disk when deleting a file, but just set an "ignore" tag of some sort...

Thanks