[linux-lvm] Snapshots and disk re-use

Nataraj incoming-redhat at rjl.com
Wed Feb 23 19:56:46 UTC 2011

On 02/23/2011 11:45 AM, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, Phillip Susi wrote:
>
>> On 2/23/2011 12:54 PM, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
>>> Or maybe you want to *revert* the origin back to the state saved
>>> in a snapshot.  A specific revert command is in the works, but
>>> to do it manually, unmount the origin, and copy the snapshot over
>> That is lvconvert --merge, and it has been around for a while now.  It
>> is quite handy for testing a dist-upgrade and then rolling back.
> Yes, I see that it is in Fedora, but not EL5.5.

It is in EL6.0 as well.  From what I can tell, and please correct me if
this is not the case, I believe there are no changes to the lvm
structure, so you could take a redhat 5 system and boot a redhat 6
recovery disk or live CD and use lvconvert --merge to revert to the
origin to a snapshot.  You probably need to reboot anyway in order to
use 'lvconvert --merge', since you can't revert an active volume.

Nataraj