[linux-lvm] Different PV on the same raid array

Ray Morris support at bettercgi.com
Thu Feb 24 13:04:35 UTC 2011

> To bypass the DOS MBR 2TB limits, i plan to use LVM to create on the
> same raid array some "small" PV (< 2TB)  that will be in the same big
> VG (> 2TB).
>
> First, am i planning ugly thing ? is the GPT alternative a better
> way ?

   If you're not booting from the array, just make the array
the PV.  Once you're past the BIOS boot, there's little reason
to have partitions at all since you're using LVM to divide the
storage into appropriate volumes.  If you are booting from it
and therefore need partitions, GPT is the new standard for
partitions.

> i would like that LVM use 1 PV first and then
> the second when the first come full  (not both at the same time).
> Maybe LVM do that by default, or do i need some option ? (i saw
> "--contiguous" in the lvcreate man pages, but dont know exactly what
> this option does ... )

  I think it does that by default, subject to certain other contraints
such as not putting both halves of a mirrored LV on the same PV.
--
Ray Morris
support at bettercgi.com

http://www.bettercgi.com/strongbox/