[linux-lvm] Inconsistent naming...?

Linda A. Walsh lvm at tlinx.org
Wed Jul 13 10:47:03 UTC 2011

Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 06:31:27PM -0700, Linda A. Walsh wrote:
>
>> Notice the device name.   notice how the single dashes are now displayed
>> as two dashes?!?!
>>

> Roughly: a dash is the separator we chose, and we double it to escape a
> real dash.  But we still need to extend our escaping mechanism to handle
> characters that udev states it doesn't support in primary device names
> but which the old /dev did used to support (and so we still do).

----
    Roughly, if I give a script the mount point of a logical device, how
can I find
out the name of the LV it is on?

    Before I stumbled upon this quote-hack, I could look the mount point in
/proc/mounts and get the dev name.

    But since the devname in /proc/mounts is corrupt -- that's not possible.

    So what is the recommended way to do something that should be very
simple,
but is not because of a specialized 'quoting' scheme (sigh)...just
tired...I should
be in bed, but was trying to do a snap and fix the scripts...but ug...

    Maybe tomorrow...I'll think of someting else, or you have something
to recommend,
since it sounds like you want to change the mangling even more so the
device name won't match what what is in /proc/mounts...

(How can that not be a bug?   Does proc/mounts double quote every '-'?
with another?_

Thanks...
linda