[linux-lvm] Question on LVM and Bare Metal Restore?

Milan Broz mbroz at redhat.com
Sun Jun 12 09:01:41 UTC 2011

On 06/12/2011 12:44 AM, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:

> Backing up the regular partitions that contain an LVM has been
> always been available, and backing up the whole disk image.
> Recent versions have added the ability to backup the LVM dm
> partitions as well. Backing up and restore works fine as long as
> the LVM setup is already there, but it a disk completely fails one
> would need to recreate the LVM before being able to restore it.

Recovery is very easy with LVM (once you find how to do that:-)

I suggest you read the LVM documentation, mainly
the section 6. LVM troubleshooting.

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html-single/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/index.html

All you need to recover LVM metadata is metadata backup
(automatically maintained in /etc/lvm or directory specified in lvm.conf)
and then something like
pvcreate -u <uuid> --restorefile <backup file> <PV> # only if PV header is lost!
vgcfgrestore -f <backup file> <VG>

Milan