[linux-lvm] Fedora 15 lvm root device not found

Stamper, Brian P. (ARC-D)[Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies Inc. (SGT Inc.)] brian.p.stamper at nasa.gov
Wed Jun 29 19:47:13 UTC 2011

I was able to boot this system by taking an initramfs from another Fedora 15 test system and putting it in /boot and referencing it in grub.conf.  However, I need to find out why an initramfs I build on the system is unable to boot.

When I'm in dracut, I was able to do some checking.  Using the lvm commands, I was able to activate and deactivate the vg, display the lvs, but not use them.  I would get "device not found", and in /dev/mapper, the lvm devices were not there.  There were other lvm devices there, but not from my primary system lvm.  The only thing that stands out about it is that it is ext4, not ext3.

Comparing the decompiled initrds, there's no modules that stand out.  Sas.out is a listing of the WORKING initrd, tfs.out is the NOT WORKING initrd.

[root at testfs ramdisks]# diff sas.out tfs.out
718d717
< ./lib/firmware/ql2500_fw.bin
1248,1249d1246
< ./etc/ld.so.conf.d/openmotif-64.conf
< ./etc/ld.so.conf.d/kernel-2.6.38.7-30.fc15.x86_64.conf
1252c1249
< ./etc/ld.so.conf.d/kernel-2.6.34.8-68.fc13.x86_64.conf
---
> ./etc/ld.so.conf.d/qt-x86_64.conf
1262d1258
< ./etc/modprobe.d/openfwwf.conf
1278a1275
> ./etc/udev/rules.d/40-multipath.rules
1317a1315
> ./lib64/libcryptsetup.so.1.2.0
1322a1321
> ./lib64/libcap.so
1407d1405
< ./lib64/libcryptsetup.so.1.1.0
1419a1418
> ./lib64/libnss_files-2.12.2.so
1480a1480
> ./usr/bin/checkisomd5
1491d1490
< ./usr/lib64/libnss_files.so
1517a1517
> ./usr/share/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth

Nothing there looks relevant.  Libcryptsetup needs updating on the test system I pulled the initrd from.  The q-logic firmware is irrelevant.  There are a couple of older kernels on the test system.  Libcap.so is a dependency of legato backup software.  Libnss_files should have nothing to do with accessing an LVM.

So I'm stuck.  My system is up, but only if I build an initrd on another system and copy it over, meaning next time I update the kernel it will not boot.  Nothing's jumping out at me as obviously missing modules from the broken initrd.  Where else can I look?

-Brian