[linux-lvm] How to fix missmatch between VG-size and LV-size?

Fredrik Skog fredrik.skog at rodang.se
Wed Mar 30 00:27:49 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stuart D. Gathman" <stuart at bmsi.com>
To: "LVM general discussion and development" <linux-lvm at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:14 AM
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] How to fix missmatch between VG-size and LV-size?

>SNIP>

>> I can run LVM commands fine now after the reboot and the output from
>> pvdisplay and lvdisplay is like i posted earlier.
>> How can i revert this in a safe way? I was thinking of just removing the
>> PV and do a vgcfgrestore to "before" the lvextend.
>> But since lvdisplay says the volume is 4.16TiB and pvdisplay says 5.59TiB
>> something is wrong? Or am I missing something?

>SNIP>

>> Is it better to do a e2fsck now?

> That is probably the only way to salvage what is left of your filesystem,
> but don't do it until we find out whether the LV is the old or the new
> size.
> I suspect the LV will be the new size, but the filesystem may still show
> the old size.  Since the resize2fs should be just adding free space, there
> may not be any data loss.  e2fsck would fix the (now corrupt)
> free space, and you can extend again.

I just added all the segments of the LV from an old backed up config file.
It adds up to 3,856TB, so I guess  you were right and i assumed wrong. The
old LV was about 3,8TB and the new is about 4,16TB or about 400GB bigger
than before as expected by lvextend -L+400G.

Also it tells me I have 1,43TiB free wich is 5,59TiB - 4,16TiB. It also
looks right.

maybe I should try an e2fsck now?

again, thanks for your time

/Fredrik Skog