[linux-lvm] simple LVM disk failure recover

Ray Morris support at bettercgi.com
Sat Sep 24 19:52:55 UTC 2011

.. also RTFM with a link to the right manual would be
> kindly appreciated (if you know that an answer for my question exist
> in the manual) ;)

man lvm | grep -5 partial

       -P | --partial
              When set, the tools will do their best to provide access
       to vol- ume groups that are only partially available (one or
       more physi- cal  volumes  belonging to the volume group are
       missing from the system).  Where part of a logical volume is
       missing,  /dev/ioer- ror  will  be  substituted, and you could
       use dmsetup (8) to set this up to return I/O errors when
       accessed, or create  it  as  a large  block  device of nulls.
       Metadata may not be changed with

You probably do not need:
man pvcreate | grep -2 uuid

       -u, --uuid uuid
              Specify the uuid for the device.  Without this option,
       pvcreate generates a random uuid.  All of your physical volumes
       must have unique uuids.  You need to use this option  before
       restoring  a backup  of LVM metadata onto a replacement device -
       see vgcfgre- store(8).

> LVM was configured to use sda and sdb in linear mode... not
> stripping... so theoretically data in sdb should be readable, right?

The data on sdb is there, but it's probably not a correct filesystem,
so reading it may be difficult.
--
Ray Morris
support at bettercgi.com