[linux-lvm] determining boot disk name(/dev/sd...) on RHEL LVM

Marian Csontos mcsontos at redhat.com
Fri Apr 26 15:26:11 UTC 2013

On 04/26/2013 11:19 AM, siva krishna wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> is there a way to determine the device name (eg: /dev/sda, /dev/sdb)
> on lvm partitioned disks,  when the os is booted from the lvm partitioned
> disk
> and there are also multiple disks connected which are having lvm partions
> with same volume group names as the primary disk.

lsblk should give you an answer on running system.

> i tried doing vgdisplay
>   and then correlating it's output with cat /etc/fstab, cat /etc/cmdline
>
> but there are multiple volume groups having the same name so can't find
> from which volume the RHEL is booting

You can not have running system with multiple VGs with same name.

I guess you mean the volume group spans over multiple disks, right?

If you happen to really have multiple VGs with same name, you have to
fix VG names - search for words duplicate vg name.

-- Marian