[linux-lvm] file-based locking initialization failed after pvresize

Christian Lahti clahti at gmail.com
Fri May 31 17:20:36 UTC 2013

I was assisted on the #lvm IRC channel by kabi_ (thank you), the
solution for others who might find themselves in the same boat:

  * look in /etc/lvm/archive and find the file that has the information
    just prior to the destructive act
  * in this text file is a UUID for the volume that has been corrupted
  * boot into rescue disk (or single user mode if the corrupted disk is
    not your boot volume) and run the following
    pvcreate --config 'global{locking_type=0}' --uuid <UUID>
    --restorefile /etc/lvm/backup/<file containing previous info>
    /dev/<device>
    vgcfgrestore -f /etc/lvm/archive/<file containing previous info>
    <volume group name>

Thanks again!

/Christian