[linux-lvm] thinpool undeleteable after server crash

Oliver Rath rath at mglug.de
Mon Feb 10 13:06:50 UTC 2014

Hi list,

Im using here lvm 2.02.104 with kernel 3.11 and today the server
crashed, so I had to power off and reboot the machin (dont know why at
the mom). After this, the used thinpool-device got an unrecoverable
error (thin_repair didnt help) so i tried to remove the whole vg
including the thinpool and its depending devices, which didnt work.

My only working solution was to overwrite the the first 30MB or the
beginning of the used pv with zeroes (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1),
then to reboot and NOW to recreate the whole thing.

This seems not to be the best solution for this, so here my questions:

Is it possible to force recreate of a thinpool device when it is
crashing? What can I do to avoid unrecoverable errors on thinpools? Is
there a better possibility for recreation of pv/vg/thinpools?

Tfh!
Oliver