[linux-lvm] LV mirror extents on same physical device

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Mon Feb 24 01:59:26 UTC 2014

Julie> On 22-02-2014 10.37 +0000, James Hawtin wrote:
>> #pvcreate /dev/md2
>> #vgextend VolGroup00 /dev/md2
>> # Stop the old pv getting lvs created on it
>> pvchange -x n /dev/md1
>> # Whole thing in one go
>> pvmove -v /dev/md1 /dev/md2
>> # One at a time
>> pvmove -v -n rootlv /dev/md1 /dev/md2
>> vgreduce VolGroup00 /dev/md2

Julie> ---end quoted text---

Julie> My LVs are already mirrored (w/ two extents on /dev/md1), so is
Julie> pvmove really the right tool to move one of those extents?
Julie> best,

Julie,

I think the problem is that you're confusing the Mirroring done at the
MD level, which is /dev/md#, and then the mirroring at the LVM level,
which is stacked on top of MD.  So there's no need to mirror at both
levels.  But let's double check your setup, so can you please reply
with the output of the following commands:

     cat /proc/mounts
     cat /proc/mdstat
     pvs
     vgs
     lvs

This will clarify exactly what your setup it and how it looks.

John