[linux-lvm] LVM RAID1 syncing component

Joe Lawrence joe.lawrence at stratus.com
Wed Nov 26 13:20:55 UTC 2014

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 22:42:38 -0700
Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 9:07 PM, Joe Lawrence <joe.lawrence at stratus.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone know how its possible to determine which side of an LVM RAID 1
> > is the stale partner during RAID resync?
> >
> > In ordinary MD RAID, I believe you can check
> > /sys/block/md0/md/dev-XXX/state, but LVM RAID seems to hide those files
> > when leveraging the MD code.  I've looked though pvs/vgs/lvs manpages, but
> > can't figure anything out there either.
>
> Rather indirectly: iotop which will show you which devices are mostly
> being read from and written to.
>
> # lvs -a -o copy_percent
> Anything less than 100% is syncing. I think.
>

>From the manpages I see the following attribute bits:

* lvs, lv_attr bit Volume Health: (p)artial
* vgs, vg_attr bit (p)artial: one or more physical volumes belonging
       to the volume group are missing from the system
* pvs, pv_attr bit (m)issing

along with the lvs copy_percent (is this similar to sync_percent) that
you mentioned.  That's about it.

Since there seems to be no real underlying MD device, I'm assuming that
ioctls are out of the question as well.

-- Joe