[linux-lvm] Booting through LVM. Possible ?

georges.giralt at free.fr georges.giralt at free.fr
Thu Apr 16 17:37:48 UTC 2015

Hello !
I've got this new laptop which has a traditional disk and an M.2 NGFF SSD disk. So for the first time I'll plan to use LVM on a laptop. (I constantly use LVM at work on bare metal or virtual systems).
The disk of my laptop is 4K sector size, GPT partitioned with an EFI partition for some utilities and Windows boot, and the SSD can be partitioned.
As I plan to install a very recent Ubuntu LTS release I wonder is I still need a plain partition for the /boot or if current Grub version can handle /boot out of an lvm lv ?
I've seen a lot of negative answer so I ask "at the source" ;-)
Thank you in advance for your answer.