[linux-lvm] Fwd: Questions about residual data in LVM after delete the Logic Volume

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Tue Dec 1 10:45:26 UTC 2015

Dne 27.11.2015 v 13:28 Young Yang napsal(a):

> [...]

Nope - lvm2 as "L"ogical "V"olume "M"anager does not zero user's data.

If you do not want to 'leak' your data after use - simply 'zero'  LV before
it's being removed (might be quite lengthy operation)

If you use 'SSD' and you have some kind of 'trust' into discard/trim - you
may setup sending of discard on deleted extents (however note - you cannot
revert back with  'vgcfgrestore' your LV removal operation.

You could also switch into 'thin-provisioning' - which does provide 'zeroing'
of new provisioned blocks - depends on your use-case - but then you are
STRONGLY advised to switch to some modern distro and not 3 years old one....

And also the most secure option is - encrypt LV (dm-crypt)
this way you simply don't care what does exist in blocks since without proper
key data are just white noice...

Regards

Zdenek