[linux-lvm] backup with snapshots - some principal questions

Lentes, Bernd bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Mon Dec 7 15:20:57 UTC 2015

Hi,

i have several servers running different Linux distributions.
Our computing center provides a network-based backup solution
(Legato/EMC), which saves the disks every night. But when the servers run,
this backup is of course not consistent.
The servers are running a lvm configuration (/ on lv and /boot on a
physical partition).
My idea is to create a snapshot and mount it before the network backup
comes. When this is stored, my backup is consistent. I can configure the
networker client in such a manner that the "live" lv is not saved, just
the snapshot so that the server is not saved twice.
My questions:
Before I create a new snapshot, I'd like to remove the old one. Is there
something I have to take care of or can I just delete it using lvremove ?
No merging or s.th. like that before ?
What is if I'd like to apply the snapshot ? Which command do I have to use
for rolling back the system to a snapshot ?

Thanks.

Bernd

--
Bernd Lentes

Systemadministration
institute of developmental genetics
Gebäude 35.34 - Raum 208
HelmholtzZentrum München
bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
phone: +49 (0)89 3187 1241
fax: +49 (0)89 3187 2294

Wer Visionen hat soll zum Hausarzt gehen
Helmut Schmidt

Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen
Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir'in Baerbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Prof. Dr. Guenther Wess, Dr. Nikolaus Blum, Dr. Alfons Enhsen
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 6466
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671