[linux-lvm] Slow response from lvs and vgs commands

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 22:58:06 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 3:21 PM, Alasdair G Kergon <agk at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 02:05:39PM -0700, John Griffith wrote:
>> I'm wondering if there's something I should be looking at more closely
>> to debug this, or if there's a way to filter the lvs and vgs commands
>> to make them more efficient?
>
> Add -vvvv to the command lines and see if that helps you to see
> where the slowness is.
>
> Alasdair

Thanks Alasdair,

Turns out I got a great suggestion to wrap this up in strace via the
IRC channel.  Turns out I'm scanning on some devices that are being
plugged in and out of the system and the failure is due to the fact
that the raw device gets ripped out from under the vgscan.

Going to try limiting the devices I interact with via lvm.conf, I
think that will address the issue.

Thanks,
John