[linux-lvm] what is free space in LVM

Angelo Moreschini mrangelo.fedora at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 09:45:24 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am new to LVM and I would like to have an exact answer to the question :

what is the criteria that allows to distinguishes the "free space" on the
all the space in a Volume Group?

or (if you prefer)...

how the command pvscan does  to obtain information about the free space in
LVM ?

According to my current knowledge, I know that the definition of "free
space" concerns with with the set of blocks for which, in the FAT, is not  r
egistered a significant link to access a file.

But I think that in the context of LVM there should be a different criterion to
define the "free space" inside a Volume Group.

Thank you

Regards

Angelo