[linux-lvm] what is free space in LVM

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 07:52:42 UTC 2015

On Jul 13, 2015 9:24 AM, "Angelo Moreschini" <mrangelo.fedora at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to LVM and I would like to have an exact answer to the question :
>
> what is the criteria that allows to distinguishes the "free space" on the
all the space in a Volume Group?

> or (if you prefer)...
>
> how the command pvscan does  to obtain information about the free space
in LVM ?

      This may sound like a naive reply but I always thought free space in
a VG is space not allocated to its LVs.

> According to my current knowledge, I know that the definition of "free
space" concerns with with the set of blocks for which, in the FAT, is not
registered a significant link to access a file.

> But I think that in the context of LVM there should be a different
criterion to define the "free space" inside a Volume Group.