[linux-lvm] autoactivation fails

Ondrej Kozina okozina at redhat.com
Thu May 21 15:09:38 UTC 2015

Hi Christian,

On 05/21/2015 02:19 PM, Christian Hesse wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> with recent lvm2 I had problems booting an Arch Linux system with non-systemd
> initramfs. lvmetad is launched, but volumes are not activated. A git bisect
> reported this bad commit:
> commit fe30658a4d5fe4e4e6bb346c9c9ee7142a98f49d
> Author: Ondrej Kozina <okozina at redhat.com>

I would like to ask you for more information about the issue. First,
have you managed to collect any error messages during the init phase
where it's supposed to fail?

The thing about that particular commit is it could possibly break
background polling, but I don't see (yet) how it could have damaged the
activation code. Have you tried to reboot a system where any operation
like: pvmove, lvconvert --merge or lvconvert mirror conversion was in
progress in background before you rebooted the system by any chance?

Second step would be to unmute the eventual background processes spawned
during activation. To do it just uncomment

// #define DEBUG_CHILD

in tools/toollib.c:76 lvm2 sources and rebuild.

This should expose all error messages from within the forked off
processes. Also, if you could perhaps give me some hints how to get the
Arch Linux in the same state as when you experienced the issue it would
help us as well.

Regards
Ondrej