[linux-lvm] autoactivation fails

Christian Hesse list at eworm.de
Thu May 21 19:50:03 UTC 2015

Christian Hesse <list at eworm.de> on Thu, 2015/05/21 20:57:
> Ondrej Kozina <okozina at redhat.com> on Thu, 2015/05/21 17:09:
> > Hi Christian,
> >
> > On 05/21/2015 02:19 PM, Christian Hesse wrote:
> > > Hello everybody,
> > >
> > > with recent lvm2 I had problems booting an Arch Linux system with
> > > non-systemd initramfs. lvmetad is launched, but volumes are not
> > > activated. A git bisect reported this bad commit:
> > > commit fe30658a4d5fe4e4e6bb346c9c9ee7142a98f49d
> > > Author: Ondrej Kozina <okozina at redhat.com>
> >
> > I would like to ask you for more information about the issue. First,
> > have you managed to collect any error messages during the init phase
> > where it's supposed to fail?
> >
> > The thing about that particular commit is it could possibly break
> > background polling, but I don't see (yet) how it could have damaged the
> > activation code. Have you tried to reboot a system where any operation
> > like: pvmove, lvconvert --merge or lvconvert mirror conversion was in
> > progress in background before you rebooted the system by any chance?
>
> No. And I see this on different systems. It's perfectly reproducable.
>
> > Second step would be to unmute the eventual background processes spawned
> > during activation. To do it just uncomment
> >
> > // #define DEBUG_CHILD
> >
> > in tools/toollib.c:76 lvm2 sources and rebuild.
> >
> > This should expose all error messages from within the forked off
> > processes.
>
> Defining DEBUG_CHILD does not bring any changes... Not sure where output
> goes if there is any.
>
> However it looks like the issue is not in lvmetad itself but triggers one
> in lvm. lvmetad is running with pid 69, but I see a log entry about
> segmentation fault of pid 121:
>
> lvm[121]: segfault at 58 ip 00007f2f24197d20 sp 00007ffe3b499b18 error 4 in
> libc.so.6[7f2f24161000+1990000]
>
> Not sure what command lvm is running, though. Probably pvscan, no?
>
> BTW, if I run 'vgchange -ay' (well, actually 'lvm vgchange -ay' as it is a
> multicall binary) in rescue shell the volumes are activated and boot
> continues.
>
> > Also, if you could perhaps give me some hints how to get the
> > Arch Linux in the same state as when you experienced the issue it would
> > help us as well.
>
> I could upload a disk image that demonstrates the issue... Any preferences
> about the format?

Ok, here we go...

http://www.eworm.de/tmp/lvm2.vdi.gz

This is is Virtualbox disk image, compressed with bzip2.

It just contains boot loader, kernel and initramfs, but it demonstrates the
issue. Have fun! ;)
--
main(a){char*c=/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/*    Chris           get my mail address:    */=0;b=c[a++];)