[linux-lvm] lvmcache - performance and real life usage?

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Mon Nov 16 15:48:33 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I've finally upgraded my main server which hosts my home directories
and other files on a bunch of 1Tb and 2Tb disks, all mirrored (triple
mirrors in general since I'm paranoid).

So they're starting to die and give me problems, and it's time to
replace them.  I'm thinking of getting a pair of 500Gb SSDs for
boot/lvmcache and a pair of 4Tb WD Blacks for the backend storage.

I've got some KVM running, NFS home directories, LDAP, samba, etc.
I'm willing to dedicate 256Gb of SSD for cache, but before I do this,
I'm curious to know if anyone else is doing this, and how the
performance is in their setup?

I'm running upto date Debbian Jessie on an AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945
Processor with 16Gb of RAM and a bunch of internal disks on an LSI 8
port controller.  Been very nice, but my mix of SATA I, II and III
disks are showing their age.

Thanks for the comments,
John