[linux-lvm] Testing ThinLVM metadata exhaustion

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Mon Apr 25 09:54:11 UTC 2016

On 25.4.2016 10:59, Gionatan Danti wrote:
> Il 23-04-2016 10:40 Gionatan Danti ha scritto:
>> On 22/04/2016 16:04, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
>>>

>>> I assume you miss newer kernel.
>>> There was originally this bug.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Zdenek
>>
>> Hi Zdenek,
>> I am running CentOS 6.7 fully patched, kernel version
>> 2.6.32-573.22.1.el6.x86_64
>>
>> Should I open a BZ report for it is RH aware of the problem on RH/CentOS 6.7?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Hi,
> sorry for the bump, by I really like to understand if current RHEL6 and RHEL7
> kernels are affected by this serious bug and, if it is the case, if Red Hat is
> aware of that.
>
> I understand this is not the better place to ask about a specific
> distribution, but I see many RedHat peoples here ;)
>
> If this really is the wrong place, can someone point me to the right one (RH
> Bugzilla?).
> Thanks.

bugzilla.redhat.com

Anyway - 6.8 will likely be your solution.

Thin-provisioning is NOT supposed to be used at 'corner' cases - we improve
them, but older version simply had more of them as there was always clearly
communicated do not over-provision if you can't provide the space.

Out-of-space  is not equal if you run out of your filesystem space - you can't
expect things will continue to work nicely - the cooperation of block layer
with filesystem and metadata resilience are continually improved.

We have actually even seen users 'targeting' to hit full-pool as a part of
regular work-flow - bad bad plan...

Regards

Zdenek