[linux-lvm] lvm2 cluster aware

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Thu Aug 25 07:37:08 UTC 2016

On 24/08/16 09:50 PM, su liu wrote:
> I have a question about lvm2 cluster, The scene is that I try to imitate
> FCSAN by mapping a rbd volume to two compute node, Then I using the rbd
> volume to  create a PV and VG.I stoped the lvmetad daemon on the compute
> nodes. Then I find that when I operating the VG on one compute node, the
> changes can also be aware on another compute nodes.
>
> But this docment(http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO
> /sharinglvm1.html) says that "*LVM is not cluster aware".*
>
> My question is that can I use the method to achieve the case that I
> create or delete lv on one node whlie other compute node can using the lvs?
>
> Can anybody explain this?
>
> thx very much!

You can use DLM (distributed lock manager) to provide cluster locking to
LVM (locking_type = 3 via clvmd). This requires a cluster though, which
you can get with corosync + pacemaker (and use stonith!).

Further details/advice requires more understanding of your environment
and use-case. Feel free to pop over to Clusterlabs[1], as many of us do
this setup regularly. I use clustered LVM in all our HA setups and have
done so successfully for years.

digimer