[linux-lvm] pvmove and filesystem - un/mount?

lejeczek peljasz at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 8 09:03:41 UTC 2016

On 07/07/16 19:10, Jarkko Oranen wrote:

> On 07/07/16 19:01, lejeczek wrote:
>> hi users,
>>
>> must be an easy one - what should be(is allowed to do)
>> filesystem doing while there is a pvmove(failed hard
>> disk) taking place in underlying LV?
>>
>> many thanks,
>
> Hi,
>
> pvmove is generally transparent to the layers above, so
> you can continue using the system as usual while a pvmove
> is in progress. While I have never seen pvmove actually
> fail (My desktop encountered a power failure mid-operation
> once, and it just continued as if nothing had happened
> after rebooting), with a failing hard disk, I would avoid
> any additional IO while the operation is in progress.

ok, thanks
maybe a bit more tricky, would now downsizing a FS be one
thing OK to do(probably also fsck) ? while pvmove is working?
furthermore, would lvreduce be OK to take pvmote out of a LV ?

I have a bit of puzzle type of situation here to deal with -
started pvmove but seems that HDD is rather in a bad
condition for after two days pvmove is barely at 4%.
Should I let it finish - or - abort pvmove and try fsck;
fsreduce; lvreduce..
hmmm..