[linux-lvm] thin: 235:2 pool target (735616 blocks) too small: expected 809216

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Jun 2 10:49:35 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-06-02 at 11:11 +0200, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> Hi

Hi.

> So it seems your  machine has crashed (you probably know better)
> during
> thin-pool resize operation.

So, this is actually a family member's machine and he was using it at
the time so I don't know, firsthand what happened.

He says he was just adding some plugin to some (Windows) program in
Wine.  Doesn't seem like that should come anywhere near resizing so I
will ask him again.

> Unfortunately fc23 has lvm2 version 2.02.132 - and version 2.02.133
> has
> improvement patch to make the resize more resistent (but still not as
> good as
> I wish to be).

Incremental improvements are improvements all the same.  :-)

> So what happened -  lvm2 resized _tdata LV - tried to resumed it -
> and
> it has failed along this path - however since the 'resize' is ATM a
> single
> transaction - the lvm2 rollback reverted to previous size - yet thin-
> pool
> already managed to remembered 'new' bigger size.

Ahhh.

> So please take a look at your logs (if you have some) if there
> is something suspicious to be mentioned (thought if you machined
> has freezed, hardly any log will be available).

I will take a look once I can get the system back up and running.

> To get access to your thin-pool - I'm attaching restored metadata
> content from
> your disk header with 'bigger' _tdata volume.

There was no attachment.

> To restore use:
>
> 'vgcfgrestore -f back  --force brianr-laptop'

I can do that in Fedora's "rescue" environment?  Probably "lvm
vgcfgrestore -f back  --force brianr-laptop" instead.

> It would be really interesting to know the reason of failure - but I
> can
> understand you could hardly obtain.

I will see if there is anything in the logs and get back to you.  It's
the least I can do in return for the help you have provided.  Much
appreciated.

Cheers,
b.