[linux-lvm] [dm-crypt] LVM on LUKS: volumes missing

Ondrej Kozina okozina at redhat.com
Tue May 31 07:53:17 UTC 2016

Hi fauno,

provided the driver was unlocked successfully it seems unrelated to
cryptsetup/LUKS to me. Could we move the discussion to lvm mail list?

On 05/30/2016 11:54 PM, fauno wrote:
> Hi, maybe I'm too shocked but I couldn't find anything on this issue :)
>
> I have a fully encrypted HD using the LVM on LUKS method from
> ArchWiki[^0], with the LUKS header and key file on an external device.
>
> Today I started having some disk failures (root remounted ro, xfs
> partition giving errors), and after I decided to reboot to run fsck, I
> can't find anything.

Could you paste here output of pvscan -vvvv --cache
/dev/mapper/insert_the_unlocked_device_name? Together with your
/etc/lvm/lvm.conf file? If it's a device with rootfs we're talking about
you will most probably have to extract /etc/lvm/lvm.conf file from
initramfs image.

Well, generally, if disk sectors accommodating PV header are damaged,
lvm2 won't recognise the device...

> When the encrypted partition is opened, I don't see any errors, not even
> on dmesg, but LVM can't find any volume.  They're just missing.
>
> Is there anything I can do? Thanks!
>
> FWIW I had the same issue with another HD a few months back, though it
> didn't had physical errors.  It didn't had anything important so I
> wasn't worried.

Ok, try same approach as above for this drive.

Regards
Ondrej