[linux-lvm] auto_activation_volume_list in lvm.conf not honored

Peter Rajnoha prajnoha at redhat.com
Thu Nov 24 13:38:23 UTC 2016

On 11/24/2016 01:21 PM, Stefan Bauer wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> howto avoid pvescan to initialize lvm volume groups on startup (it's for a cluster setup)? auto_activation_volume_list was filled with the remaining VGs we want to setup. Manually it does what it should
>
> /sbin/lvm pvescan --config 'activation { auto_activation_volume_list = "vg2" }'  only activates vg2 but keeps vg1 "untouched".
>
> But on system startup, all VGs are activated. (ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS)
>
> We also updated the ramdisk and verified, the changes are also in the ramdisks lvm.conf
>
> However vg1 is also enabled.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

It's important that all scripts which handle LVM activation at boot are
executed with vgchange -aay that honours the auto_activation_volume_list
(so not "vgchange -ay").

All init scripts and systemd units which upstream LVM2 provides are
executed with "-aay" already.

You mentioned cluster setup - so are your VGs clustered and are you
using clvmd? If that's the case, the clustered VGs are activated either
by clvmd init script/systemd unit or external cluster resource agent
(e.g. pacemaker and clvm ocf file) which calls the vgchange to activate
the clustered VGs - that one needs to use "-aay" too.

--
Peter