[linux-lvm] Snapshot behavior on classic LVM vs ThinLVM

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Fri Apr 14 15:17:55 UTC 2017

Stuart D. Gathman schreef op 13-04-2017 19:32:
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2017, Xen wrote:
>
>> Stuart Gathman schreef op 13-04-2017 17:29:
>>
>>>  IMO, the friendliest thing to do is to freeze the pool in read-only
>>> mode
>>>  just before running out of metadata.
>>
>> It's not about metadata but about physical extents.
>>
>> In the thin pool.
>
> Ok.  My understanding is that *all* the volumes in the same thin-pool
> would have to be frozen when running out of extents, as writes all
> pull from
> the same pool of physical extents.

Yes, I simply tested with a small thin pool not used for anything else.

The volumes were not more than a few hundred megabytes big, so easy to
fill up.

Putting a file copy to one of the volumes that the pool couldn't handle,
the system quickly crashed.

Upon reboot it was neatly filled 100% and I could casually remove the
volumes or whatever.