[linux-lvm] Snapshot behavior on classic LVM vs ThinLVM

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Sun Apr 23 09:26:43 UTC 2017

Dne 23.4.2017 v 07:29 Xen napsal(a):
> Zdenek Kabelac schreef op 22-04-2017 23:17:
>
>>> That is awesome, that means a errors=remount-ro mount will cause a remount
>>> right?
>>
>> Well 'remount-ro' will fail but you will not be able to read anything
>> from volume as well.
>
> Well that is still preferable to anything else.
>
> It is preferable to a system crash, I mean.
>
> So if there is no other last rather, I think this is really the only last
> resort that exists?
>
> Or maybe one of the other things Gionatan suggested.
>
>> Currently lvm2 can't support that much variety and complexity...
>
> I think it's simpler but okay, sure...
>
> I think pretty much anyone would prefer a volume-read-errors system rather
> than a kernel-hang system.

I'm just currious -  what the you think will happen when you have
root_LV as thin LV and thin pool runs out of space - so 'root_LV'
is replaced with 'error' target.

How do you think this will be ANY different from hanging your system ?

> It is just not of the same magnitude of disaster :p.

IMHO reboot is still quite fair solution in such case.

Regards

Zdenek