[linux-lvm] how to change UUID of PV of duplicate partition (followup)

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Fri Jan 6 20:11:11 UTC 2017

David Teigland schreef op 06-01-2017 20:19:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 08:10:20PM +0100, Xen wrote:
>> This is what I mean:
>>
>>   Found duplicate PV 3U9ac3Ah5lcZUf03Iwm0cgMMaKxdflg0: using /dev/sdb4
>> not
>> /dev/sdc4
>
> The handling of duplicate PVs has been entirely redone in recent
> versions.
> The problems you are having are well known and should now be fixed.

Thank you. I've installed the version from Ubuntu 16.10 and the
vgimportclone command worked fine now :).

Still gives those same errors mostly (the duplication detection output)
and provides no other success output that made me a little scared,

   WARNING: PV 3U9ac3-Ah5l-cZUf-03Iw-m0cg-MMaK-xdflg0 on /dev/sdc4 was
already found on /dev/sdb4.
   WARNING: PV 3U9ac3-Ah5l-cZUf-03Iw-m0cg-MMaK-xdflg0 prefers device
/dev/sdb4 because device is used by LV.
   WARNING: PV 3U9ac3-Ah5l-cZUf-03Iw-m0cg-MMaK-xdflg0 on /dev/sdc4 was
already found on /dev/sdb4.
   WARNING: PV 3U9ac3-Ah5l-cZUf-03Iw-m0cg-MMaK-xdflg0 prefers device
/dev/sdb4 because of previous preference.
   Couldn't find device with uuid ZvvuxB-8sgu-quBO-ZQDW-zKr8-pYzI-qF1ygK.

Particularly because one half of a mirrored LV is always missing :p so I
get that last line too, but because I don't memorize my PV UUIDs I'm
always a bit uncertain what it could mean :P.

But the output from lvs indicated that the result was achieved:

   msata-lv coll  -wi-------  28,91g
   raid-lv  coll  -wi------- 464,36g
   msata-lv coll2 -wi-ao----  28,91g
   raid-lv  coll2 -wi-ao---- 464,36g

(I renamed my vgs in reverse after the fact).

The above is a terrible design choice I made lol. Instead of creating an
extra partition which would have meant an extended partition to hold 2
distinct PVs, I embedded them in a single partition using a single PV.

The amount of trouble that gives.

Anyway, thank you for your dear answers, previously I was told it was
all my fault because I was stupid and didn't know how to use the tools
properly.

So thanks for that, cya.