[linux-lvm] Change stripe cache for lvm raid5

Sebastian Bachmann me at free-minds.net
Sun Jan 15 16:57:50 UTC 2017

Hi again!

Actually setting the stripe cache using dmsetup reload works. You just
have to resume the device after it was reloaded. I did not read the
documentation well enough to recognize that:

$ dmsetup table
[...]
myvg-lv: 0 11525947392 raid raid5_ls 3 128 region_size 8192 3 254:5
254:6 254:7 254:8 254:9 254:10
[...]
$ dmsetup reload myvg-lv --table '0 11525947392 raid raid5_ls 5 128
stripe_cache 16384 region_size 8192 3 254:5 254:6 254:7 254:8 254:9 254:10'
$ dmsetup resume myvg-lv
$ dmsetup table
[...]
myvg-lv: 0 11525947392 raid raid5_ls 5 128 region_size 8192 stripe_cache
16534 3 254:5 254:6 254:7 254:8 254:9 254:10
[...]

If you do this, there is actually a speedup, as suggested in various
threads about mdraid.

Is there now any way to make this persistent? I saw there are udev hooks
for lvm, but I think you can not simply put the new dmsetup table
argument there...

regards
sebastian