[linux-lvm] Change stripe cache for lvm raid5

Sebastian Bachmann me at free-minds.net
Sun Jan 1 16:45:54 UTC 2017

Hi!

Just a sidenote: I tried to set the stripe_cache option via dmsetup
reload in a debian jessie VM. With the 3.16 kernel, it crashed with a
null pointer dereference error in raid5_set_cache_size function.
I upgraded to a newer kernel version (4.8.11) and tried it again,
the cache size can be set there using reload:

Jan  1 15:44:56 jessie kernel: [   33.913336] device-mapper: raid: 16384
stripe cache entries

I then upgraded the kernel on my machine with the RAID5 and found out,
that even without any cache settings, the RAID is now two to four times
faster in writing than before. I now get around 80-100MB/s.
It seems that there were a lot of changes between 3.16 and 4.8 regarding
speed, not only fixing this crash.

I tried now setting the stripe cache size on the RAID5 but the speed
does not get higher though...
According to the numerous reports on the internet, the impact on write
performance should be great - so it would still be interesting if the
stripe_cache is actually set correctly when using dmsetup reload (if I
run dmsetup table again, i still see the old line) and if it somehow can
be set persistently with LVM.

regards
sebastian