[linux-lvm] Question on mixing technologies

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Sat May 13 12:16:18 UTC 2017

You basically have two possibilities:

1) move the root fs on the M.2 disk, which will give you much higher
system responsiveness compared to the mechanical disks; however, any
data/application installed on the HDD will be slow as always;

2) configure lvmcache [1] for using the M.2 disk as a read-only
(writethrough) caching device for the mechanical disks, which will give
you somewhat lesser system responsiveness but *any* cache-friendly
application will be accelerated from the M.2 disk.

[1] http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/lvmcache.7.html

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan