[linux-lvm] Question on mixing technologies

Georges Giralt georges.giralt at free.fr
Fri Nov 3 08:19:10 UTC 2017

Hello !

Here I'm again.

I've played a bit more with my setup.

I've changed two computers : a server having got a new mainboard with an
M.2 plug, In it I installed a NVME SSD card.

On this machine, I created a PV onto this device and added this PV to
the VG holding the system. I then did pvmove to place the lv containing
/ and /usr to the SSD. Perfect !

The server is really highly responsive and, as the /var and /tmp are
still on mechanical drives I hope the SSD will be long lived.

On my laptop, the SSD has been used for the / and /usr outside of LVM
(the laptop had already a GPT disk and I decided not to use LVM at all).

I can't compare the behavior because of the huge difference between the
two machines, but I'm really happy with both settings.

Thnks for your help.