[linux-lvm] lvmlockd: how to convert lock_type from sanlock to dlm?

David Teigland teigland at redhat.com
Mon Nov 20 16:10:07 UTC 2017

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 06:35:20PM +0800, Eric Ren wrote:
> On my testing cluster,  the lvmlockd was firstly used with sanlock and
> everything was OK.  After some play, I want to change the "sanlock"
> lock_type of a VG into "dlm" locktype.

> # vgchange --lock-type none --force vg1       // the cmd comes from `man lvmlockd`
> Command does not accept option: --force.

First you'll need this recent fix:
https://sourceware.org/git/?p=lvm2.git;a=commitdiff;h=f611b68f3c02b9af2521d7ea61061af3709fe87c

--force was broken at some point, and the option is now --lockopt force.

To change between lock types, you are supposed to be able to change to a
local VG, then from local to the other lock type.  The man page sections:

  changing a lockd VG to a local VG
  changing a local VG to a lockd VG

But it looks like a fix is needed in those instructions.  I believe
"vgchange --lock-type none <vgname>" needs to include --lockopt force.
If you could verify this for me, I'll update the man page.
Thanks
Dave