[linux-lvm] Shared VG, Separate LVs

Eric Ren zren at suse.com
Fri Oct 13 09:11:56 UTC 2017

Hi,

> With CLVM / HA-LVM on a 2 node cluster -
>
> Is it possible to have a shared VG but separate LVs, with each LV
> exclusively activated on different nodes in a 2 node cluster.
> In case of a failure, the LV of the failed node will be activated on
> the other node.

I think clvm can do what you want if you perform LVM commands by hand.
But, with HA cluster manager (pacemaker) you cannot
do it with the current resource agents (clvm + LVM) [1] [2], because
they do failover at a VG basis.

We are currently working on new resource agents [3] for lvmlockd [4].
The new agents can do activation on LV basis, but I won't
recommend doing that if there's no strong reason. It makes things much
more complicated.

[1]
https://github.com/ClusterLabs/resource-agents/blob/master/heartbeat/clvm
[2] https://github.com/ClusterLabs/resource-agents/blob/master/heartbeat/LVM