[linux-lvm] Shared VG, Separate LVs

Indivar Nair indivar.nair at techterra.in
Fri Oct 13 10:40:53 UTC 2017

Thanks Eric,

I want to keep a single VG so that I can get the bandwidth (LVM Striping)
of all the disks (PVs)
  PLUS
the flexibility to adjust the space allocation between both LVs. Each LV
will be used by  different departments. With 1 LV on different hosts, I can
distribute the Network Bandwidth too.
I would also like to take snapshots of each LV before backing up.

I have been reading more about CLVM+Pacemaker options.
I can see that it is possible to have the same VG activated on multiple
hosts for a GFSv2 filesystem.
In which case, it is the same PVs, VG and LV getting activated on all hosts.

In my case, we will have the same PVs and VG activated on both hosts, but
LV1 on Host01 and LV2 on Host02. I paln to use ext4 or XFS filesystems.

Is there some possibility that it would work?

Regards,

Indivar Nair