[linux-lvm] Option to silence "WARNING: Sum of all thin volume sizes exceeds the size of thin pool"

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Tue Sep 19 08:44:01 UTC 2017

On 18/09/2017 22:08, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:

> We can possibly print WARNING message only with the 1st. thin LV  which
> causes overprovisioining of thin-pool.

This should be ok, but it would not cover all use cases. For example, a
thin snapshot taken, and removed, for backup purpose would repeatedly
trigger the warning.

So, while more "intelligence" on when printing the warning on lvm side
is welcomed, I really advocate for a simple command line option (or
lvm.conf parameter) to skip the warning.

> As  for 'read-only' snapshot - it really doesn't matter - the
> overprovisioned pool can in the 'worst' case end in out-of-space
> condition (i.e. fully rewritten origin)

Sure, I was only describing a possible case where the warning is
"redundant" (ie: because the admin know the snapshot will be short-lived).

Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico