[linux-lvm] pvmove --abort

Stuart D Gathman stuart at gathman.org
Mon Jan 27 16:38:10 UTC 2020

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020, Matthias Leopold wrote:

> I consciously used "pvmove --abort" for the first time now and I'm astonished
> it doesn't behave like described in the man page. No matter if I've used
> "--atomic" for the original command, when I interrupt the process with
> "pvmove --abort" lvm always completely rolls back my copy operation. I would
> expect that if I don't use "--atomic" then "--abort" will result in "segments
> that have been moved will remain on the destination PV, while unmoved
> segments will remain on the source PV" (from man page). Am I missing
> something?

I'm not an LVM guru, but I think I got this one!  pvmove effectively
creates a mirror on the destination, and begins syncing the mirror.
Any writes to the LV go to *both* the source and destination.
When you abort, it simply discards the partially synced mirror.
When the sync is complete, it discards the source leg of the mirror
instead.