[linux-lvm] Recovering "broken" disk ( 17th )

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 14:49:44 UTC 2021

You will need a lvm backup file for the pvcreate --uuid I believe (there
may be some option to get around needing the backup file).

That will put the header back on if you either have an lvm backup and/or
archive file, you might also need a vgcfgrestore afterwards depending on if
anything else is missing.

I have never done it, but it looks possible to make a lvm backup file by
reading it directly off the disk with dd, so that you will have a file that
pvcreate is ok with, that is if there is no way to force it without a
backup file.

But, this should get the pv back showing up with whatever sectors that you
successfully recovered.